If you wake up with frequent headaches or a sore jaw, it could result from bruxism – the unconscious habit of grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep. At Honest Dental Care in Salem, NH, our team understands the impact bruxism can have on your oral health.
That’s why we offer custom dental night guards that are crafted to fit your unique bite, providing optimal protection for your teeth and alleviating discomfort. With our personalized approach to bruxism management, you can wake up feeling refreshed and free from the symptoms that may be affecting your daily life.
What Are Dental Night Guards?
Dental night guards are highly recommended protective devices that are custom-fitted to your teeth, creating a comfortable and effective barrier against the damaging effects of teeth grinding or clenching, also known as bruxism. By wearing these guards during sleep, when most unconscious grinding occurs, you can safeguard your teeth from wear and tear, minimize jaw discomfort, and promote overall dental health.
Types of Dental Night Guards
Night guards come in three primary types:
Over-the-counter Night Guards: These are affordable and readily available solutions that can be purchased at most drugstores without a prescription. They come in a standard size that can be adjusted to fit your mouth, providing basic protection for teeth grinding or clenching.
Boil-and-bite Night Guards: These semi-custom devices offer a step up in customization. After being heated in boiling water, they become pliable and can be molded to fit your unique dental structure. This method provides a more personalized and comfortable fit, improving protection against teeth grinding and jaw discomfort.
Custom Night Guards: For the highest level of fit, comfort, and protection, custom night guards are the way to go. These are professionally crafted by a dentist using an impression of your teeth. This ensures a precise fit that is tailored specifically to your dental anatomy, offering optimal comfort and maximum protection against teeth grinding, jaw pain, and potential dental damage.
Individuals can choose the night guard that best suits their needs and budget by providing a range of options, ensuring effective protection and a good night’s sleep.
Signs and Symptoms of Bruxism
If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may be dealing with bruxism:
- Morning headaches or migraines, known as bruxism, can be a common symptom of teeth grinding or clenching during sleep. This can lead to tension in the jaw muscles and cause pain in the face or neck.
- Worn, chipped, or cracked teeth can result from the excessive force exerted on the teeth due to grinding or clenching. These dental issues can lead to further sensitivity and discomfort.
- Increased tooth sensitivity may occur due to enamel erosion caused by bruxism. The thinning of the enamel can expose the underlying dentin, which is more sensitive to temperature changes and certain foods.
- Individuals with bruxism often experience disrupted sleep, as the grinding or clenching can be loud and disruptive to both the individual and their sleep partner. This can lead to daytime fatigue and decreased quality of sleep.
Remember, if you experience any of these symptoms, it’s essential to consult with a dental professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.
The Importance of Custom Night Guards
While over-the-counter night guards may seem convenient, custom night guards offer several key advantages:
Fit: A custom night guard is meticulously crafted using an exact mold of your teeth, guaranteeing an exact fit that perfectly conforms to the contours of your mouth. This precise fit ensures maximum effectiveness and comfort.
Comfort: When compared to generic night guards, a custom-fit guard offers a superior level of comfort. It is tailor-made to suit your individual dental structure and provides a snug and secure fit that eliminates any discomfort or irritation commonly experienced with ill-fitting guards.
Protection: A well-crafted night guard offers unparalleled protection against the detrimental effects of teeth grinding. By precisely aligning your upper and lower jaws minimizes the impact and wear caused by grinding, safeguards your teeth from potential damage, and reduces the likelihood of related dental issues.
Night Guard Care and Maintenance Tips
Proper care and maintenance of your night guard will prolong its life and effectiveness. Here are some tips:
- Gently brush your night guard daily using a non-abrasive toothpaste and a soft toothbrush.
- Ensure thorough drying before storing to prevent bacterial growth.
- Consider using a ventilated container for storage to maintain cleanliness.
- Bring your night guard to dental appointments for professional cleaning and inspection.
Taking these measures will help prolong the lifespan and effectiveness of your night guard.
Reserve Your Consultation
If you think a night guard might be beneficial for you, schedule a consultation at Honest Dental Care in Salem, NH. We’ll evaluate your needs and guide you through the process of getting a custom dental night guard. We look forward to helping you achieve healthier teeth and better sleep.