Honest Care Dental – Dental Implants
When one of your teeth is severely damaged or missing, your whole life is affected. Along with being embarrassing, performing basic activities, such as eating and speaking, can be a challenge with a missing tooth. At Honest Care Dental in Salem, NH, Dr. McMillan and his experienced team are proud to offer a variety of cosmetic dental treatments that can restore the look and feel of your damaged smile, including dental implants. Check out these facts about dental implants before scheduling your appointment at Honest Care Dental.
Dental Implants in Salem, NH
A dental implant is a titanium rod that is inserted into a person’s jawbone to support a dental crown used to replace a missing tooth. The best candidate for a dental implant is someone suffering with severe tooth decay, an irreparably damaged tooth, or a missing tooth who otherwise has good oral health and has enough jaw structure to support the implant. Dental implants are among the most popular cosmetic dental procedures performed at Honest Care Dental due to their natural appearance, durability, convenience, and permanence.
Happy. Healthy. Honest.
We Appreciate You and We are Grateful for Your Trust.
What Are the Different Types of Dental Implants?
There are two types of dental implants:
- Endosteal: This type of implant involves inserting a metal screw-shaped implant into the patient’s jaw bone. The bone and implant will eventually fuse together over time and provide a stable foundation for an abutment and dental crown to be attached to.
- Subperiosteal: For patients without enough jaw bone to support an endosteal implant, a subperiosteal can be placed under their gum line but on or above the bone.
After your consultation, Dr. McMillan will make a personalized treatment plan for you and can recommend which type of dental implant would be the best fit for your oral health needs.
What Can I Expect From My Dental Implant Procedure?
- Before: After Dr. McMillan does a comprehensive exam, reviews your medical history, and makes your personalized treatment plan, you will be given an anesthetic to ensure your mouth is completely numb before your procedure begins.
- During: The dental implant procedure will involve several steps. The first one entails inserting the titanium rod into your jaw bone and then allowing them to fuse together. Dr. McMillan uses the X- NAV technology, X-GUIDE, for accurate and precise implant placement.
- After: You may be sore for a few days after your procedures, but the pain should be manageable with over-the-counter medications. While your gums heal, it’s important to use an antibacterial rinse to prevent infection and avoid spitting, using a straw, and smoking. After your implant and crown are both installed, you should practice good oral hygiene and visit the dentist regularly to ensure your dental implant stays strong for many years.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
If you take care of them, it’s not uncommon for dental implants to last decades, sometimes through a patient’s whole life. The best way to accomplish this is to brush and floss daily, visit the dentist for routine check-ups every six months, and avoid chewing hard things, such as ice.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants will depend on your dental insurance plan. While implants tend to be more expensive than some other cosmetic and restorative treatments, such as bridges and dentures, they could save you money in the long run, since they are low maintenance and may never need to be replaced. For more information on what your dental insurance policy covers, please contact our office.
Honest Care Dental Can Restore Your Smile with Dental Implants
If you are looking for a convenient, natural-looking, permanent option for a damaged or missing tooth, a dental implant may be a good option for you. Contact the friendly team at Honest Care Dental in Salem today to schedule your free consultation with Dr. McMillan!