How are CEREC Crowns Made?
Same-day crowns are made using Chairside Economic Restorations of Esthetic Ceramics (CEREC) technology. It uses computer-assisted design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to scan the tooth and create a three-dimensional model that guides the creation of the crown in your dentist’s office.
This data will be submitted to the CEREC machine, which will mill your custom-made porcelain crown. Depending on the type used, the device will cut away the excess ceramic, then gradually trim the piece and refine it until it’s the right shape for your mouth. This process minimizes the time spent making and installing a crown.
Advantages of CEREC Crowns
As a general dentistry service, the same-day crown has many benefits over traditional crowns. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Crowns in One Appointment: The obvious advantage of CEREC crowns is time-saving and convenience. Traditional crowns are milled in an outside lab, so it generally takes two appointments over several weeks to get your permanent crown. The cutting-edge technology used in CEREC crowns allows you to go to a dentist’s office and walk out with your smile fully restored.
- Digital Impressions: The use of digital impressions mean no need for distasteful impression materials that cause some patients to gag, less chair time, more comfort and a less anxious experience, and improved image/impression quality for better-fitting restorations.
- Eliminates the Need for Temporary Crowns: Before CEREC, we would place a temporary crown to cover your damaged tooth while waiting for your crowns to be created. Temporary crowns tend to fit poorly and can let bacteria get into the tooth more easily. With CEREC crowns, you won’t have to worry about how a temporary crown looks or functions in your mouth – you can enjoy a confident, healthy, natural smile right away.
- Precision: CEREC technology is extremely accurate and detailed. This means less drilling and a new crown that looks and fits flawlessly.
Do Same-Day Crowns Look Natural?
Yes, same-day crowns look natural. Because it lacks a metal core, a CEREC crown looks more natural and closely resembles the surrounding teeth. Dr. McMillan will also customize the crown’s shape, size, and color to look exactly like your natural teeth.
Are One-Day Crowns Durable?
On average, same-day crowns typically last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. But they may last much longer with proper maintenance. That’s because same-day crowns are made from the same high-quality ceramic materials used in traditional crowns.
To ensure your CEREC crowns last for as long as possible:
- Maintain proper oral hygiene by brushing at least twice daily, flossing at least once daily, and visiting your dentist regularly for exams and cleanings.
- Refrain from habits such as using tobacco products, using your teeth as tools, or chewing on ice, pens, or anything hard, as this may damage your crown.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are acidic, hard, sticky, or gummy as they may wear away at the dental crown adhesive, chip, crack, or break your crown or cause your crown to pop off.
Get a Same-Day Crown Today!
If you’re like most people, you’re always looking for ways to save time, simplify your schedule, and keep your appointments to a minimum. At Honest Care Dental, we provide same-day CEREC crowns in Salem, NH, allowing our patients to get a strong, beautiful dental crown without the hassle of two visits. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!